Commercial Vehicle registration is dependent on many factors.

Here are a few questions you will need to answer when coming in to register your commercial vehicle.

– Who’s goods are being hauled? The registered owner’s or someone else’s.

– How far are you hauling? Within 10 km of the point of registration, within Alberta, or into another province or US.

– What type of goods are being hauled?

– What is the maximum weight your vehicle can haul? You will need to find this out by calling Alberta Transportation Ph: (403) 340-5444 (toll-free in Alberta dial 310-0000). They will need to know how many axles & tire size of your vehicle.

– If you are hauling outside Alberta, you must contact Prorate 403-297-2920. Once you have gotten a report from Prorate, come & see us for your registration.

Your registration is calculated by weight, so once you have confirmed the weight the vehicle is authorized to be registered for, we can tell you the price.

If your vehicle has a weight of 11,794 kg or more, you have to apply for a safety fitness certificate. We will need this certificate in order to register your vehicle.

A temporary Safety fitness certificate can be issued by our office. The temporary certificate is valid for 60 days, and you must apply for a perminant certificate within this time.

Permits may be available for the movement of oversize and overweight vehicles and their loads. Conditions are applied that minimize infrastructure damage and enhance safety to the public.

For more information about this program, contact the Permit Office at 1800-662-7138.